Rebecca's Reviews > Breathless

Breathless by Dean Koontz

Jun 30, 10

did not like it

I don't know why I keep coming back to Dean Koontz. As his preoccupation with some sort of L. Ron Hubbard-esque blend of aliens and spirituality progressed, I swore that I would stay away.
When I realized that I had bought one of his books that I already owned because its plot and characters were so indistinguishable from all of his other books that I had forgotten it completely, I swore I would stay away.
But I keep coming back. 'Odd Thomas' brought me back briefly, before eventually crushing me with disappointment.
'From the Corner of His Eye' was a unique, refreshing book with a spiritual twist- until he began beating his readers about the neck and head with the same theme and his personal views on religion in nearly every subsequent book.
So, what did I learn from this book?
I learned that Dean Koontz loves animals, especially dogs (duh) and has only disdain for most people. Dean Koontz also seems to believe that in order to evolve fully, we must become animals again.
I learned that Dean Koontz apparently believes that there are two kinds of people in the world... animal -loving, plain-living saints, and psycho mass murderers.
I learned that Dean Koontz believes that the mass murderers read Ralph Waldo Emerson and self-help books, and the saints apparently only read Dean Koontz.

Look, I find nothing wrong with inserting your own beliefs and opinions into writing. I think that it is, in fact, one of the things that separates good writers from great writers, when they can bring you around to their way of thinking without even making you aware that you are being convinced, when a story is written in such a way that it opens you up to a lifestyle or an idea you'd never thought about before. But when the story becomes more about being a vehicle to get your opinion expressed, than about the story itself, that's just ego. Maybe now I'll stay away for good...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathless.

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bob Vickers His personal beliefs have been getting more and more distracting in his books. I've read about all his in print books. Life Expectancy was the last one I really enjoyed. The first 2 Frankenstein's I liked too. Very good review. I can never seem to put my thoughts to the page like that