Rebecca's Reviews > Abarat

Abarat by Clive Barker

Jun 30, 10

** spoiler alert ** I gave this two stars because of my deep-seated belief that is you publish a book, regardless of if it is part of a series or not, it should be an entire story. doesn't matter if the reader can understand everything that is happening if they haven't read the other books, but it should have a beginning, a middle, and some sort of conclusion. Cliffhangers are a cop-out.
**spoiler warning**
You should not end a book with your heroine being pursued across the sea by a ruthless evil being who can't decide if he wants to have her for supper, or marry her. Seriously. If you reach the maximum length your publisher thinks you should have, but you have another 600 pages to the story, fight for it or edit. You're given enough carte blanche to have your paintings as the illustrations in the book, I don't think they're going to quibble with you over length.
That said, this book was typical Barker, toned down for the kiddies. My judgement is withheld until I decide whether or not to jump off the cliff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abarat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

denise THAT'S why I felt ambivalent about it. Thank you, that was what I would have said if I'd thought about it for a couple of days before reviewing it.