Rory's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Jul 12, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 30 to July 12, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Quotes Rory Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“So many people enter and leave your life! Hundreds of thousands of people! You have to keep the door open so they can come in! But it also means you have to let them go!”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I never confused what I had with what I was.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“What did thinking ever do for me, to what great place did thinking ever bring me? I think and think and think. I've thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Do you have any coffee?'...'It stunts my growth, and I'm afraid of death.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Well, what I don't get is why do we exist? I don't mean how, but why.' I watched the fireflies of his thoughts orbit his head. He said, 'we exist because we exist. . .we could imagine all sorts of universes like this one, but this is the one that happened.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“...only someone who'd never been an animal would put up a sign saying not to feed them....”

“Cher Marcel,
Allô. I am Oskar's mom. I have thought about it a ton, and I have decided that it isn't obvious why Oskar should go to French lessons, so he will no longer be going to go see you on Sundays like he used to. I want to thank you very much for everything you have taught Oskar, particularly the conditional tense, which is weird. Obviously, there's no need to call me when Oskar doesn't come to his lessons, because I already know, because this was my decision. Also, I will keep sending you checks, because you are a nice guy.
Votre ami dévouée,
Mademoiselle Schell.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Instead of singing in the shower, I would write out the lyrics of my favourite songs, the ink would turn the water blue or red or green, and the music would run down my legs.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Anyway, the fascinating thing was that I read in National Geographic that there are more people alive now than have died in all of human history. In other words, if everyone wanted to play Hamlet at once, they couldn’t, because there aren’t enough skulls!”

06/30/2010 page 35