Teresa's Reviews > The Collaborator

The Collaborator by Gerald Seymour

Aug 21, 10

bookshelves: thriller, 2010-read, modern-fiction
Recommended for: anyone who likes thrillers, this book contains hostage situations, torture and violence.
Read from August 02 to 21, 2010 — I own a copy

Not sure if I can give this five stars or not. But this really was a great read. It was amazing in some ways... but it's not a book that makes you feel fluffy and lovely inside. This is about hostage situations, containing violence and torture. It's smelly, bloody and grim. The author really put you in Eddie's place and it read like hell (poor Eddie).

To me, it was grim in places, as this is about an Italian clan (mafia), and gets a bit graphic in how they punish people, torture etc. I think it was quite graphic early on, and I was worried it was going to get worse, considering poor Eddie and what he's got himself into (and that's not a spoiler because it's on the blurb on the back) but actually it didn't... well, it was bearable or readable depending on how you look at it. (I think I can read vampire blood and gore, and not really be affected because in my mind vampires aren't real. But this comes across as very real... I'm wary of going to Naples!).

It's just edge of seat reading, whether Eddie will survive or not. And I can't say any more than that otherwise it will spoil it.

It's told in third person, from many character perspectives, but enough to build the story and their characters and the tension.

And I actually liked the ending. A lot. Not how I expected it some sense, but the author did a good job in satisfying my mind. It's left open, yet there is some finality to it. I was satisfied.

I can't stand it when there really isn't an ending and it's left open for the reader to decide.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collaborator.

08/03/2010 page 8
1.0% "Just read the prologue... what no vampires? No, but a complicated romance.... I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this book :D"
08/03/2010 page 35
6.0% "Interesting start, easy to read, though I'm getting a little confused with some of the Italian names lol!"
08/04/2010 page 63
11.0% "Definitely interesting so far..."
08/05/2010 page 86
16.0% "There was a part in that chapter last night which was pretty grim, made me queasy. Grim but good. What have I let myself in for?"
08/09/2010 page 141
26.0% "I want to scream at Eddie, "Don't do it! Don't do it!""
08/11/2010 page 202
37.0% "Oh, God, poor Eddie... what has he done?"
show 5 hidden updates…