Maggie's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

F_50x66
Jun 30, 10

Read on June 30, 2010

I got halfway through this before I started skimming. Although I appreciate the language and writing style, and although there are instances where the imagery is clever and beautiful, most of the time I felt like I was drowning in metaphors, most of which were unecessary or just plain overwrought. It was just too much.

Not surprisingly the interesting parts were whenever Lia interacted with other characters and when there was actual dialogue, and I could finally get out of her head.

I didn't really understand WHY Lia was anorexic. I would've liked more insight into that. Or maybe I just missed it when I was skimming it, but there was no way I could finish reading this. I couldn't sympathize with Lia at all, and the funny thing is that I've been there. It seemed like everyone around her was, for the most part, trying to help her. And honestly her mom didn't seem that bad. I've seen way worse, but whatever. I'm gonna have to classify Lia as an unreliable narrator.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

06/30/2010 page 7
06/30/2010 page 96
34.0% "This book is making me hungry."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aine I just finished this book today. I'm so sad you didn't like it. It's definitely one of my favorite books. The writing reminded me so much of Speak.