Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > No Place For Heroes

No Place For Heroes by Laura Restrepo

Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010-release, first-reads
Read on July 23, 2010

Normally when I pick up a book and hate it by page 37, I don't waste my day trying to finish it, but brand it a DNF and state why without giving a rating and then proceed to get on with my life and hopefully read a better book. However, this was a goodreads firstreads win and so... I had to continue and I finally bailed over a quarter thru. I love firstreads and I am grateful to publishers for posting book contests. This particular book is just not for me.

Why??? Reason one: the boy/man. I say boy/man because I could never quite figure out his age. He is a child of the 90s... So was I and I don't say things like, "cover my eyes, Mommy, please, please, cover my eyes." I also don't make a big stink and pout at the restaurant table because my mother orders pork and pineapple, nor do I ask my mother to tell me the same stories over and over like a 5 year old. Frankly, I expected this boy/man to crap his pants any minute. Anyway, when the boy/man isn't acting like he is five, he is calling his mother by her first name and using the F word when speaking to her. So is he five or 30???

Reason two: None of the characters can ever make up their minds. Call him, don't call him, call him, don't call him and why go to France searching for your grandparents when you know you won't find them because they are still living in Argentina?

Reason three: The good stuff, the revolution stuff, is all TOLD thru conversations between mother and son. SHOW me, don't tell me.

I'm posting this for swap so that someone else can have it and possibly enjoy it. If you entered the giveaway for this and lost, please, please, please take it off my hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Place For Heroes.

07/23/2010 page 1
0.0% "Just arrived this evening. A goodreads win."
07/23/2010 page 37
12.0% "Hate this so far. The boy/man can't make up his mind about anything, acts like a 5 year old one minute, uses the F word the next minute, calls his mother by her first name.. and the entire story so far has been told via their conversation."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet Wow a first reads even that is too bad. Good try though.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You're brave! I always feel as though I must at least give a 2* rating in a firstreads win. I know these people want honesty, but more than that I think they want to sell some copies.

Susan Hmmm, I won a copy of this one, too. Now I'm curious to see if my opinion is similar to yours. I have to finish The Black Nile  One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River by Dan MorrisonThe Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River first, but that shouldn't be a chore because I'm really enjoying it.

Susan I don't give many 1-star or 5-star ratings. I have to really HATE a book for a 1-star. I need to be more generous with my 5-star ratings, but I tend to use them for books that I love and that I think will be classics.

message 5: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt Ladies, I want to explain the books that get one star ratings from me.. I'm never without a book. I carry my book to work, the gym, any car drive that is half an hour or more... Well, I don't carry 5 books around with me, just the one I am reading. If I go to work and on my break, choose to stare into space with boredom, rather than read the book I have with me that day, it's a one star. LOL

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Were you given any clues that the boy/man might have Asperger's syndome or some kind of mental disability?

message 7: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Chevrestt No. I would have understood then. I wondered that myself but I re read the summary and found no mention of it. I believe it was meant to be comical, but I didn't get it.