Graceann's Reviews > The Pirate's Daughter

The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in January, 2011

Margaret Cezair-Thompson gives us a mini-lesson in Jamaican upheaval, both political and personal.

The fictional premise of The Pirate's Daughter is that, when Errol Flynn ends up in Jamaica, he loves it so much that he buys property there and spends a significant portion of his final years there. This much is actually true. He had a home in Port Antonio and owned a hotel; he was a big reason that tourism flourished around that time.

Cezair-Thompson then expands the premise to include Flynn's having a series of trysts with a teenage girl, Ida, which result in a child. (This is all in the prologue - and on the back cover.) My question at this point became "what, other than the innocence of youth, would explain the young woman's attraction to Mr. Flynn?" He's consistently drunk; he's a user, and uses her. Yes, he's attractive, but he's a jerk. As Ida's father says, "he don't deserve you."

Most of the novel takes place with Ida struggling to raise their daughter, May, all in a backdrop of generational changes and political strife. To be accurate, while Flynn provides a catalyst for change here, and his presence is often felt, there are many other, more interesting, characters who interested me. A fictionalized version of Ian Fleming is present, and he's thoroughly delightful. Ida's family are varied and provide an atmosphere that was quite new to me. I enjoyed watching these folks all come together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pirate's Daughter.

12/31/2010 page 40