Bella's Reviews > Good Enough to Eat

Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis

Oct 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from September 29 to October 10, 2010

Good Enough to Eat, by Stacey Ballis, is one of those rare books that you want to truly savor as you read because you never want it to end. This book was so much more than just a good read to me. It was substantial, meaningful, and important. It was so profound that I wish I would've written it.

It tells the story of Melanie Hoffman, who before we ever meet her has lost half her body weight - 145 pounds. Not only that, but she's left her job as an attorney to open cafe that serves healthy, delicious food. Along the way, Melanie has external and internal conflicts that lead her to realize that losing weight was only the beginning - it's finding out who she is in the world that is going to be the true test of her character.

The main theme of this book is independence, with every nuance that that word can hold. What it means to be single for the first time in a long time; what it means to have financial independence; what it means to live independent of your past demons; what it means to be in a relationship (romantic, friendship, and familial), yet retain your own sense of self. What it means to be free of the fat that has been holding you back from living your life.

Ballis captured what it's like to be an obese person. Even though Melanie is a normal-sized person on the outside, her mentality is still that of someone who faces challenges with her relationship to food on a daily basis. When conflict occurs, Melanie thinks about eating - mashed potatoes, mac 'n' cheese - those comforting foods that are so easy going down but oh so difficult to deal with the next day when you realize that you've (once again) lost control.

It was at those times when Melanie was reflecting with her life coach/nutritionist Carey (how can I get a Carey?!) that I actually found myself learning some difficult truths about myself. These sections gave me insight into my own struggle with my weight, and made me come to several realizations that will help me on my path towards healthy living/losing weight. Many of the quotes in the book made me stop and contemplate my own relationship with food and think about how I can strive to interact with food in a more healthy, "normal" way.

There was so much in this book that I cannot recommend it highly enough. I enjoyed it from soup to nuts and cannot wait for Stacey Ballis' next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Enough to Eat.