Chana's Reviews > Skipping Christmas

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: funny, received-through-bookcrossing, american, satire
Read in June, 2010

I was just going to skip this book and send it on, but the fact that it is written by John Grisham, and it is "a hilarious look at the chaos and frenzy that have become part of" the "holiday tradition" made me change my mind. Anyway, it is a very quick read, couple of hours so I decided to read it.
I enjoyed it very much as it is quirky, snarky and laugh out loud funny. John Grisham is an accurate observer of, well everything he observes probably. In any case, he writes in an engaging and astute fashion and I loved reading a book that constantly made me laugh. From tanning beds to plastic Frosty snowmen on the roof, weird tropical outfits to Scrooge like tendencies, a daughter in the Peace Corp; John Grisham has everyone so well portrayed that a silly book becomes a real pleasure to read. I also loved the ending, cried even.
Although there are some serious ideas met with here also, like what happens if you don't conform, when other people will support you and when they won't, even the pressures to be a giving person, a family person, not to be the one who says I am going to take a slice of life for me that doesn't involve doing something for someone else, and I am going to enjoy it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping Christmas.