Bonnie Grove's Reviews > The Passion of Mary-Margaret

The Passion of Mary-Margaret by Lisa Samson

Jun 29, 2010

did not like it

The low rating isn't because of the writing (which is excellent) or even the story line (which is well told and wistful). The low rating is due to the fact that author tries to excuse the accusations of abuse on children by the hands of Catholic priests as something that, while regrettable, isn't a big deal. A few bad apples.

I was appalled.

A 15 year study and report released in Canada on the history of residential schools run by the Catholic church up until 1996 reveled the level of abuse committed by priests and nuns on the children in the schools as systemic and continual. This isn't a few bad apples, and the abuse of these children isn't something we should attempt to excuse. There are a number of organizations designed to reach out to victims of residential schools in Canada. For example: http://www.irsss.ca/

It is rare for me to disregard a novel because of something that only mentioned, and not even the focus of the novel. But in this case, the issue is far to large for me to overlook these casual references. I have no doubt these references weren't intended to harm, but intention isn't enough.

I highly recommend other novels by Lisa Samson. She is an excellent writer, and is, I am sure a sensitive and loving person.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passion of Mary-Margaret.

04/13 marked as: read