Sandra's Reviews > Silence of the Grave

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indriðason

Jun 29, 2010

Read in June, 2010

Not a book to read if you’re having a down day! It starts when a guest at a child’s birthday party notices that the baby is teething on a human bone---and it gets darker from there. In fact, this novel makes it difficult for me to believe that the sun ever shines in Iceland. The murder mystery is essentially the investigation of this cold case. To whom does the bone belong? How did the person meet his or her death? Was there a perpetrator? Who was it and is he or she still alive?

The chief investigator is Erlendur Sveinsson, a jaded Reykjavik police detective whose ex-wife and grown children hate him, whose daughter is a junkie, and who looks ahead to a bitter and empty life. The novel follows the lives of members of two dysfunctional families---Erlendur’s and the family under investigation and includes domestic violence, poisoning, stabbing, drugs, miscarriage and mental illness.

This is a fascinating novel that reveals much about Erlendur, who is the continuing character in this Icelandic series and who in his dour, plodding manner is unlike other leading detectives I’ve encountered. I’ll definitely read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silence of the Grave.