Merilee's Reviews > Oyster

Oyster by Janette Turner Hospital

Jul 04, 10

Read from June 29 to July 04, 2010

I think I'm really going to like this Aussie novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oyster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara This sounds interesting. I'll wait for your decision!

Merilee The first 40 pages are beautifully written and are really engaging my interest!

Becky Oyster is an incredible book - I really, really liked it - a 4.5 really - a 9 on my 1-10 scale. I liked it so much I took notes as I read. Imo, Hospital is right up there with the best of Australian writers (except Peter White of course.)

Bekah

Merilee Hmmm....I've done a final review....Wonder where it is?? I gave it a 9/10, too.

Merilee OK, here's what I thought I had posted (nothing brilliant, mind you). Must have forgot to hit save or send..

4.5/5
Excellent book. I liked this even better than her Orpheus Lost. Interesting
tale of Rasputin/Jim Jones-like messianic figure (Oyster)coming to the
Australian outback to make a killing in opals. The locals don't like anything
messing with the way they're used to doing things, yet passively let chaos rein.
Beautifully written and highly recommended (although I would not necessarily
have been drawn to this subject matter, the characters were very well drawn and
the writing poetic).

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara SOLD!

Joan Winnek I loved Orpheus Lost.

Merilee whoops - typo - chaos reign!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Merilee wrote: "OK, here's what I thought I had posted (nothing brilliant, mind you). Must have forgot to hit save or send..

4.5/5
Excellent book. I liked this even better than her Orpheus Lost. Interesting
..."

It's not you, Merilee - there's something not quite right with reviews at the moment, some kind of bug. Jim Paris lost a whole review the other day, and one of mine will only show up if you view that particular edition. One I did today wouldn't show up (rating or review) until I went to 'edit my review' then changed nothing but saved it again.
There have also been odd bits of code popping up and error messages that I don't understand.
I've contacted the tekkies about it.
My advice is to copy and paste what you write into a word file for the time being till they fix it.
Cheers