Priscilla's Reviews > Jingo

Jingo by Terry Pratchett

Aug 07, 10

Recommended to Priscilla by: Meredith Bratcher
Read from June 29 to July 25, 2010

This is one of the richest Pratchett books I've read so far. The characters of Vimes and the Patrician are more nuanced and layered in this book than any other so far. The issue of the role of a policeman in keeping the peace versus an army in waging war was well explored and it kept reminding me of George Bush's reaction to 9/`1. At the time, many observers and citizens called for treating the perpetrators as criminals and using our system of policing and courts to bring them to justice. But Bush &Co. decided to start two wars instead, causing enormous devastation and the loss of innumerable innocent lives. It was a reaction of retribution, not justice, and Pratchett explores this in Jingo. I was really struck by the fact that he wrote it in 1997, six years before the disastrous invasion of Iraq. I fervently wish that Bush had enough intellectual curiosity to read, and that he had ready Jingo before trying to prove his manhood through the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocents. Where is Vimes when we need him?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jingo.

06/29/2010 page 42