Vivian's Reviews > Pray for Silence

Jul 09, 10

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf
Read in July, 2010

Sadly disappointed. I really enjoyed "Sworn to Silence" and looked forward to reading this one. I'm happy that I didn't spend any money on it since I could not finish it. The gory descriptions of the killings of the Plank family are not for the faint of heart and I had a hard time reading through the first 40 pages or so. My biggest problem, however, is that Ms. Castillo must think her readers are stupid. Why else, would we need to be reminded on every other page that Kate Burkholder grew up Amish and KNOWS what it's like and how it feels and how one can keep secrets. We get it, Ms. Castillo. So repetitive and unnecessary. Also unpalletable, are Ms. Burkholder's serious lapses in judgment since she is supposedly an experienced police officer. The book was overlong and in need of some serious editing. I seriously doubt that I will read the next in the series.
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pray for Silence.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Terah I couldn't have said it better myself!

Melissa Agreed. Repetition and poor editing are two very big pet peeves of mine.

Rubyna Jinnah You are so right!

Peggy Exactly - and of the "difficulty" in her relationships. Spare me.

Rasheeda I agree completely. I'm no prude but I thought the cursing was unnecessary and seemed like she using it to make the book grittier.

Alexis I couldn't agree more!

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Poole Halfway through the book and it's not as good as Sworn To Silence. I was excited to find a series, but wondering if they all will be the same story, just different crimes. might read the others in between other books.