Katie's Reviews > Blood & Flowers

Blood & Flowers by Penny Blubaugh

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in April, 2011

Blood & Flowers was definitely an enjoyable, new spin on the faerie trend, but it wasn’t what I was expecting at all. If you’re like me, you’ll start this book with the idea that it will be somewhat dark. It’s not.

The story focuses on the Outlaws: a theater troupe of outcast misfits and one faerie, and their attempt to flee from a vindictive ex-lover of one of the Outlaws who has the power to disband and destroy them, all while they struggle to continue to do the thing that makes them most happy - theater. There’s really no intensity or suspense or darkness. It’s sort of lighthearted and fun, and that’s not a bad thing at all. I closed this book with a smile on my face. The differing personalities and quirks and talents of each Outlaw member really came together, and the chapters where they were working on a show (which was pretty much all of them) were definitely the most entertaining.

I do wish the story was a bit more personal. The main character, Persia, narrates, and she does have a good voice. But at times I felt like she was just someone telling us what was going on, rather than a character having a firsthand part in what was going on. And I would’ve loved to learn more about Nicholas. I feel like he’s the only character that got neglected when it came to spotlighting each Outlaw and getting a sense of their personality.

But other than that, I very much enjoyed Blood & Flowers. It’s not what you’d expect, but the lightness and the fun that the book brings is definitely worth checking out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood & Flowers.