Amanda Davies's Reviews > King's Shield

King's Shield by Sherwood Smith

Jul 17, 10

Read from June 29 to July 14, 2010

I felt like this book went very slowly for the first half. Things didn't really start happening, and I didn't really get interested, until Part 2. It was enjoyable, but I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first two. The flaws are becoming more obvious, and while I still think they're good and I'll read the last one, I can't really give my complete endorsement.

All the little nitpicky things that bothered me before are still there (learning languages in a matter of months, desiring people you grew up with). I'm also growing less enamoured of the treatment of sexuality - I still think it's good, don't get me wrong, and I'm glad that the authors writes characters of different sexualities.

However, for some reason it seems like that always leads to societies where polyamory is the norm, and I'm not sure why. Don't get me wrong here either, I'm down with polyamory and I don't really think monogamy should be the norm either - but why not both? In this book it seemed to become more evident that monogamous couples were rare, and I think so far in the series we've only seen one or two. Also, while we've got gay and bisexual male main-ish characters, I am sad to say there are no lesbians or bi women that I've noticed.

On a different note, I hope Fox plays a big role in the last book, otherwise his parts in this one were pointless. They had no connection to the main story at all.

It'll be awhile until I read the last, but I will read it, and despite my slightly less ardent love I am looking forward to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King's Shield.