Kirstie's Reviews > Exile and the Kingdom

Exile and the Kingdom by Albert Camus

Jun 26, 08

Recommended to Kirstie by: Rory
Recommended for: fans of fiction, short stories, Camus
Read in June, 2008

I haven't read Camus in a long long time and before that, only The Stranger which I think everyone has read. Camus is, of course, an exceptional writer but the strength in this collection is within each story and the variety of each. It's also in the fact that the stories themselves are so unique and memorable that their presence stays with you even when you wish you could leave them behind in a sense (the image of a man without a tongue being tortured for example isn't something I'd like to dream about on a pleasant afternoon.) Camus is quite adept at creating not just characters but engaging situations to place them in as well as sometimes incredibly vivid metaphors that may not even be quite obvious at first as in the case of his first story, "The Adulterous Woman." He also creates a certain kind of landscape in other stories-"The Guest" and telling a story of a life in "The Artist at Work," which was definitely my favorite of the collection. What becomes overwhelmingly clear is his grasp of humans as much as his understanding of the sense of a personal story, whether it be one of doubt and searching or one of tragedy and it is this theme that unites them all in a unique sort of exile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exile and the Kingdom.