Mandy Moody's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Jul 19, 10

bookshelves: i-own, vampire-smut
Read from June 29 to July 01, 2010

I'm a little embarrassed to have enjoyed this one...but I did. However, I would give it 3.5 stars if I had the option.
I like vamps. I like vampire fiction. I like the dark sexiness of it.
I do NOT like authors of vampire fiction that take their work too seriously. JR Ward definitely falls into that category.
When I opened up this book and found a "Glossary of Terms and Proper Nouns" I knew I was in trouble. Are you kidding me? A glossary?
I was also unimpressed with Ward's attempt to reinvent the wheel. Vamps can't survive off human blood? They aren't undead, they're just a different species? As the novel progressed, though, those things ceased to matter and it was obvious Ward only used them to differentiate her novel. Too bad she didn't just focus on the writing.
Her language is comical. The dialog between the brothers is seriously giggle worthy. Even their internal thoughts are so silly it's almost embarrassing to read. It's obvious that a middle aged white woman is coming up with the things they say, everything sounds so contrived and unnatural.
Every male character in the book comes off as a wannabe gangster. The leather, the pounding rap music, the drinking, the womanizing, the tinted windows of the Escalade...it's ridiculous! Even their names are over-the-top ridiculous. Wrath, Phury, Rhage, Zsadist, Vishous, Tohrment, Butch...the only one with an actual name (Darius) died in the first few pages. Not one of these men in this book - even the human, Butch - could exist outside of a fantasy universe. That's a problem for me.
However, it's also the stuff that teen girls dream of - the bad boy that doesn't take sh*t from anyone - who will do anything to protect you - who scares the be-jesus out of everyone else - but who loooooves and shows his soft, vulnerable side only to you.
Powerful stuff.

The good things...
Beth is a strong, smart, capable woman, and I liked her.
I thought the pacing of the "romance" between her and Wrath was right on. Ward didn't drag out the "off" parts like some authors do.
The plot was actually engaging.
The sex was hot.
She gave each "brother" a hook...something I remember about them...something I want to read more about.

I'll be picking up the next book, and probably the rest after that. I hate myself for it, but I'm hooked.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

06/29/2010 page 45
11.0% "Recommended by Drea and Jenn. Super cheese-tastic so far. The vamp names are hysterical. Wrath? Phury? REALLY?"
07/07/2010 page 75
19.0% "getting a little better..."
07/17/2010 page 209
53.0% "Enjoying this one...hating myself for it :)"