Rachel's Reviews > On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God

203107
Jun 29, 2010

bookshelves: 144booksin2010, ya-classroom-lit
Read in June, 2010

On the one hand, Georgia is as horrible & incorrigible as the first novel. Her little sister is still characterized as too young for her actual age, and her mother begins also has a repeat performance in book 2 that echoes of book 1. The other issue that bothers me about Georgia's characterization is that she does NOT look forward to her developing "basoomers" or wearing a bra. I didn't know a single girl that age who DIDN'T want breasts, so this little detail about Georgia strikes me as v. strange.

On the other hand, Georgia is still hilarious and an apt characterization of a fourteen-year-old girl. She seems mean at times to her best friend, Jas, but really...what girls are actually good friends to one another at that age? All the girls are equally self-conscious and self-absorbed, so it works. I do worry, though, that with 8 more books in the series, Rennison will try to continually capitalized on Georgia's teenage selfishness and continually write from the perspective of an early teen rather than having any development from young Georgia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God.