pinknantucket's Reviews > Church Mouse

Church Mouse by Graham Oakley

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: ms-readathon-2010
Read in June, 2010

I feel like I'm cheating including this in my Readathon tally because it's a book for kids and not really very long, but my cat managed to sponsor me somehow and insisted that I read some of the Graham Oakley church mice books. (Seriously, which human slave did he convince to do his bidding? Tell me!).

This is the only one I happened to have lying around, as I bought it last year when I was in Paris. That's right, Paris!! It's a lovely hardback edition and I bought it at Shakespeare and Co, right after I finished eating a croissant, no doubt! Ha ha ha.

These books are wonderful and if you haven't read them I do advise you to rush out and acquire them post-haste. The first in the series, this book explains how Church mouse Arthur, lonely for the company of other mice, convinces the Vicar to allow other mice to live in the church, where they will perform chores in exchange for cheese. Also resident in the church is Sampson, a reformed orange tabby, who has listened to so many sermons he resolved to treat mice as his brothers.

The illustrations are divine. The characters will steal your hearts. I wish Arthur and Sampson were real.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Church Mouse.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by dogpossum (new)

dogpossum I loved loved loved these books as a child.