Shovelmonkey1's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: 1001-books
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: man booker
Recommended for: lions and tigers and bear, oh my!
read count: 1

Just had a nice chat with my friend Dr Nick about some things relating to books:

Nick "Let the right one in is a wicked film but I'm still not into vampires. Defo not Twilight."
Me "I'm still giving the Potter a wide berth too."

There then followed some random chatter about whether or not we avoid things that people like such as Potter/ Twilight/ Apple/ Facebook because we want to be different or because we are big sad saddos. No real conclusions were drawn at this point.

This was then followed in turn by a discussion on authors who Dr Nick was unsure of the gender of. And also some that I was confused about too. For example...
A.A Milne - man or woman?

Nick said he thought Lewis Carroll was a woman. I said definitely not but George Elliot was a woman. Blank look from Dr Nick. Wilkie Collins, Evelyn Waugh and CS Lewis were also included in this discussion. We then moved onto talking about books which will soon be transposed to the silver screen:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (remake versus not-very-old-or-dated-original), The Great Gatsby (Mulligan versus Farrow) and then onto the Life of Pi.

Nick has never read Life of Pi but he described it thusly:
"That's the one about the dog, the snake and the fox in a big boat like that riddle with the chicken and the fox and the bag of grain and the farmer trying to cross the river but he can only carry one at a time so what order does he do it in?"

Er, no Nick... it's not like that at all but it amused me so much I had to include it here.
Then we both agreed that we also both got a bit confused for a while between The Curious Incident of the Dog in the night time and Life of Pi.

I think I may have just revealed to the world how even people with PhD's can be very under informed. Next week will be a short review of Dr Sam, Dr Gin and Dr Dana talking about the European monetary crisis through the medium of nursery rhymes.
The end.

** For those of you not interested in the waffle above, Life of Pi may also be interpreted as the musings of a young boy on the nature of tragedy, spirituality and survival and about how you come to terms with things when the unspeakable happens in an unthinkable way. Happy now?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I *detest* this book. Your review is 10,000X better.

message 17: by Laima (new) - rated it 1 star

Laima I didn't like the book either.

Shovelmonkey1 I was not over fussed myself. I liked the idea behind it but would have preferred it without the over explanatory ending.

Contrarius I loved this book, but nonetheless you've written a funny review. ;)

Shovelmonkey1 thanks. Glad to have the comments of someone who enjoyed the book.

message 13: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark sorry in re-reading this I have only just noticed the 'homage' to the wizard of Oz; how did I miss that the first time. Wonderful

James Your review made me remember actually reading the book and how disappointing an event it was when compared with the stupid hype that preceded its seeming ubiquity on best-seller lists. I'm changing my original rating as a consequence from three to two stars. Ingenious review.

message 11: by Laima (new) - rated it 1 star

Laima James wrote: "Your review made me remember actually reading the book and how disappointing an event it was when compared with the stupid hype that preceded its seeming ubiquity on best-seller lists. I'm changing..."

You are so generous - I gave it a one because we can't give a zero.

Shovelmonkey1 James wrote: "Your review made me remember actually reading the book and how disappointing an event it was when compared with the stupid hype that preceded its seeming ubiquity on best-seller lists. I'm changing..."

It was hype- tastic if i remember but I'm a bit slow off the mark and didn't read this till it was old news.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways This is the sort of book that makes one long for half stars. I'd like to give it 1/2*. Preferable, of course, would be a little minus sign, or the ability to change stars to these dinguses:

Shovelmonkey1 I'm using the good reads app on my phone so can't see what image you've posted Richard but I'll assume safely that it is something rude ?

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It's the international biohazard dingus. There are plenty of books I'd like to give that one to!

Jason Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "For those of you not interested in the waffle above, Life of Pi may also be interpreted as the musings of a young boy on the nature of tragedy, spirituality and survival and about how you come to terms with things when the unspeakable happens in an unthinkable way."

This whole book was a metaphor for something, I'm certain of it. :)

But for real, I enjoyed it a lot. It was fascinating to read about his experiences on the raft with Richard Parker only to find out later that (view spoiler)

Cecily Can we read any of Dr Nick's reviews on GR? ;-)

ShAdOwBrEaK *Just*Try*And*Know*Who*I*Am* Lol, awesome review. The book in a nutshell :P

message 3: by Manny (new)

Manny Loved this review, except for the unnecessary explanation at the end.

Marie Ha ha, I was very disappointed with this book, but I think you should read Harry Potter.

Sourab Yeah, you made me happy in the end.