Kara's Reviews > The Blade Itself

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2010

Rather surprisingly, I liked it.

Yes surprisingly, because I'm not generally into books that have a lot of fighting, and occasional torture. Call me a puss, but I trend toward simple and happy, not complex or disturbing. (And well, torture makes me squirm... but let's try a jaunt in the real world anyway).

However, it turned out I really wanted to know more about these characters (very good in depth and quirky character development) and what was going to happen to them. So I continued reading...

It's good writing and storyline, and the descriptive fights and battles are really well done. You get the full sense of what's going on in 3D space, and an inkling that the author may actually know heads from tails when it comes to fighting.

Rest assured, there is a plot. But the storyline is woven into a world with war and conflict going on between nordic-like barbarian warriors, a central politically corrupt empire, far-off foreign empires, and bestial half-human beserkers. (Note: these are my relational descriptions, not the authors). Add to this, a limited and long-living set of powerful magic users who are divided amongst themselves for ethical reasons,and who are aligned with opposing sides.

Oh, and I like the unexpected. You can't know ahead of time how this trilogy is going to turn out. Or... who will survive.

He's a new author, but give 'em a try.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blade Itself.