Briony's Reviews > Every Little Thing in the World

Every Little Thing in the World by Nina de Gramont

Jul 07, 10

bookshelves: bfya, great-smelling-books, ya, realistic, pregnancy
Read from June 28 to July 01, 2010

I would like to first say that Nina De Gramont can receive my humble apology whenever she would like.

When I first saw the cover and heard the jacket blip of this book, I instantly made fun of it. All I could think of was, “ANOTHER pregnancy story AND she is going to wilderness camp, OH COME ON!.” I think I can literally count on all my fingers and toes how many times I picked up this book and laughed, however Gramont got the better of me. After reading some of the reviews of Every Little Thing In the World, I decided that I would give it the benefit of the doubt. Talk about getting slapped aside the head. I could not put this book down! Gramont’s writing instantly captured my attention and I was pulled into Sydney’s story.

Although Sydney’s pregnancy was the focal point of the story, it wasn’t the ENTIRE story. It was very authentic of how Gramont intertwined Sydney’s sixteen-year-old thoughts around her life and her pregnancy. I also liked how Gramont had Sydney bouncing back and forth between decisions, especially after learning about a big family secret that her best friend, Natalia, discovered about herself.

Besides creating an authentic main character, Gramont also did a phenomenal job on supporting characters and their relationship with Sydney. I absolutely loved how Sydney and Natalia’s relationship slowly grew apart only to come back together again. I also believed each character was developed to their potential. Tommy, the father of the baby, only makes an appearance once, but I think his character development was perfect for someone who only has a brief relationship with Sydney.

After much ridiculing and scoffing at this book, I can say that I have been firmly put in my place about joking about a book before I have read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Little Thing in the World.

06/28/2010 page 70
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Classic. I laughed so hard reading your review, Briony, and then Nina's response! Would you recommend this for 12 year olds? I'm wondering if its content is appropriate for my neighbor girls.

message 2: by JD (new)

JD Switz I haven't even read this yet but from what you said about your reaction to the title? I swear to God I just did the same thing! I just stopped by to check what it was about before I decided if I wanted to read it or not. I was just about to pass this up. Now that I've read your review, I am going to try it and see if it works for me, too.