Tracy Riva's Reviews > Friendly Divorce

Friendly Divorce by Rick D. Banks

Jun 28, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, divorce, family, stress-free, rick-d-banks, children
Read in June, 2010

Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce

Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce by attorney and Mediator Rick D. Banks was an eye-opener for me. Prior to reading this book I would have thought the term “friendly divorce” to be an oxymoron, but after reading the book, I can really see how divorce can be a much less stressful, and possibly less painful process.

Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce doesn’t suggest you become best friends with your soon to be former spouse, but it does suggest you and your soon to be ex develop a solid working relationship that can make the divorce less stressful, and less expense for both of you.

Banks provides solid examples of ways you and your estranged spouse can work through both a trial separation and your divorce. He talks openly about the stages of grieving you will go through with regard to your marriage. He talks about some of the difficulties inherent in a divorce, like feelings of guilt or inadequacy. What’s more he addresses the fact these feelings are inaccurate and counterproductive to your healing process.

In Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce Banks leads you carefully through the different steps involved in filing for, and obtaining a divorce. He talks about things like mediation, court proceedings, custody, spousal support, distribution of assets and other matters of critical importance in divorces.

Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce stresses the importance of maintaining good communication and a non-confrontational attitude during your divorce. It especially stresses how vitally important these skills are if there are children affected by the divorce.

I’ve been divorced twice and I really wish I would have had a resource like Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce. I believe having such a book would have allowed for a better working relationship with my ex-husbands after the divorce was over. I believe it would have allowed issues like spousal support and the all important child custody to be settled without a long court battle. I believe it would have allowed for easier healing, on both my part and the parts of my ex-husbands.

The best advice I can offer anyone who is thinking about divorce is to read Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce. Encourage your spouse to read it too. It will enable both of you to try to set clear boundaries, to try to keep communication open, even when it may be difficult and to try to act in a way that shows respect for one another and any children you may have. It will help make the divorce process as stress free as possible, though of course there will be some stress. It will help you to try to establish a healthy relationship with your ex once the divorce is over, something that is critically important if you have children.

Friendly Divorce: The Definitive Guide to a Stress Free Divorce by Rick D. Banks, copyright 2009 by Rick D. Banks, published by Marital Solutions, LLC, ISBN 978-0-557-19511-4 Hardcover available at http://www.amazon.com $47.00

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friendly Divorce.