Al's Reviews > Ronia, the Robber's Daughter

Ronia, the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren

U 50x66
Jun 28, 10

Read in June, 2010

Nice story by the author of Pippi Longstocking. Ronia, the daughter of Matt the robber, becomes friendly with Birk, the son of Matt's bitter rival robber Borka. Ronia and Birk have many adventures together, and overcome their fathers' opposition to their friendship. There is lots to like in the warm friendship that develops between Ronia and Birk, although it's unfortunate that Matt, supposedly a good father and husband, makes his living by robbing people and unaccountably seems to get away with it. Also, it's unfortunate that the book ends abruptly with too many loose ends left untied. But all in all, a lovely little fantasy.
Note to A, K and M: one of the major highlights of the book is the cover art by Trina Schart Hyman. The book was published in 1983, shortly after TSH did the painting for us. It's fun that a number of the images on her cover are very like our painting; I'll show you when you're here this summer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ronia, the Robber's Daughter.