Veens's Reviews > Manifest

Manifest by Artist Arthur

Sep 03, 10

bookshelves: arc, ebook, 2010-read
Read from August 16 to September 03, 2010

I have been really thinking hard to get my thoughts organized on this one, but I am still so undecided as to whether I liked it or not. The problem being that from the time I started this book, I have been just comparing this to Dull Boy by Sarah Cross (my review) which I read last year. In Dull Boy by Sarah Cross (my review) also there is this guy who has some powers but ofcourse none of them can talk to the dead. But the basic plot is the same… Teens…powers..struggling with these powers…meeting others with these powers…trying to find out how they get these powers…trying to help someone… and so on… I hope you get the picture.

But whereas I really liked Dull Boy, I cannot say the same for Manifest. I think the problem has to be that I didnot like Krystal at all. I can totally understand her struggles, but I didnot like her attitude at all. Maybe this is how teens are but I could not feel for her at all. She made it difficult to like her. But I was engrossed in the story, I really wanted to know how these 3 were going to end up. Another issue I think is that I very much knew who the bad guy was, somewhere around the middle it became quite obvious!

But I loved Jake and Ricky. Both the guys were so good. I loved the way Krystal and her mom make-up and talk. And well it reiterates my belief that there is no problem in this world that cannot be dealt with an open-minded talk.

I love the feel of her arms around me, of my head resting against her chest, of the rhythmic patter of her heart against my ear. I love her scent that reminds me of when I was a baby and rested my head in this very spot. But what I love most of all is what she says next and how it fills me up completely.
“It’ll always be you and me, Krys. No matter what.”
That’s better than I love you, better that I miss you or I’m sorry. Why? Because it says that no matter how dumb and spoiled I act or how misunderstood she is, that we’ll be together.
I like that, very much.
-pg. 221

All in all, I did enjoy it despite all the issues and comparing. It was good to see Krystal growing up and accepting who she was and accepting the people around her too.
Thanks to NetGalley for my eBook!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manifest.

08/25/2010 page 80