Shannon C.'s Reviews > Bonds of Justice

Bonds of Justice by Nalini Singh

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: magic-special-powers, shapeshifters, suspense-mystery
Recommended for: PNR fans

We met Max Shannon, the human cop, in one of the earlier books in the series. He is friends with Tally and Clay, members of the Dark River shapeshifter pack. While being handsome and strong, Max is regular in most ways except for the natural mental shield that he has against Psy manipulation. It's been both a blessing and a curse for him. He is not at the mercy of Psy influence, however in the Psy-dominiated world it has hindered his ability to gain promotions into the upper ranks. So when a Psy Council member asks for him to be assigned a special case, he is very surprised.

A Justice Psy, Sophia Russo is used to interacting within the human court system. She regularly comes in contact with the worst offenders, reading their memories and then providing evidence to help in their prosecution. But J-Psys usually only last around 12 years before their shields break down and they must be rehabiliated (i.e., they go crazy and are turned into vegetables). She's worked in the field for more years than most and her shields are on the edge of fracturing. She's not suprised to be called out of the field and assigned to a special case for a Council member--for her is it the beginning of the end?

I was surprised at the author's choice of main characters for this installment. There are so many other characters that seem more interesting and I've been hoping for their stories. But she still made me like Max & Sophia and want to read their story. The world building and plotline were well done. I enjoyed the storylines working the mystery for the council member and also the Bonner case. It was good to see the politics of the Council further developed--seemed to have a good setup for the next book. I love how Singh develops such interesting story arcs that cross books. Definitely made me wonder who Kaleb, another Council member is searching for. And made me think there is more to Sascha's mom than we might have originally thought! Looking forward to the next book in the series.

If you haven't read this author and you like paranormal romance, I recommend giving this series a try. I also love her newest series Guild Hunter. The style of the Guild Hunter series reminds me of a cross between the Night Huntress books by Frost and the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by Ward. Frost since it follows a hero/heroine throughout the course of the books, the appealing/tough/hardworking/no nonsense heroine, and the fact that heroine is reluctant at first for the relationship. And BDB because of the darker, grittier feel and Raphael is such a hot, tough, alpha bad a$$. The first book is Angels' Blood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonds of Justice.

06/28/2010 page 275