Erica (daydreamer)'s Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Matched was a beautiful story. It was kind of slow, and simple. The characters live very sheltered, controlled, organized lives. They have no need to worry. Their whole life is planned for them; their life isn’t even theirs. What made this story so enchanting to me was Cassia. I loved her voice, her thoughts. She was just an everyday girl, oblivious to the caged life she was living in. And then she began to wonder. What if there’s more to this life than what the Officials have decided? What would she do if she could choose- if she could choose who she loved, who she wanted to be with? Cassia and Ky’s love for each other was a quiet love, a beautiful love, blooming in the dead of night, unseen, forbidden, yet reaching out for the impossible, daring the night to take away its glow and determination.

I really liked Condie’s writing style, it was flowing, poetic like. It breathed with beauty and promises and possibilities. The book is kind of slow, there’s not much action, but sometimes, I like slow books like this. Books with a beautiful romance, and a character that is discovering who they really are. I loved the ending, especially the last chapter. It shows that Cassia will never give up, that she will fight forever. I guess I might be able to see why people might not like this book, but I loved it. I guess I’m just a hopeless romantic, and I can find treasures in almost any love story, whether the book be brilliant and action packed, or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

Quotes Erica (daydreamer) Liked

Ally Condie
“Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?”

Ally Condie
“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.”

Ally Condie
“Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that.”

Ally Condie
“Even if he didn't live his story, enough of us have lives just like it. So it's true anyway.”

Ally Condie
“Is falling in love with someone's story the same thing as falling in love with the person himself?”

Ally Condie
“Ky can play this game. He can play all of their games, including the one in front of him that he just lost. He knows exactly how to play, and that's why he loses every time.”

Ally Condie
“His lips move silently, and I know what he says: the words of a poem that only two people in the world know.”

Ally Condie
“That’s how I know they are dreams. Because the simple and plain and everyday things are the ones that we can never have. (Cassia Reyes)”

“Cassia.
I know which life is my real one now, no matter what happens. It’s the one with you. For some reason, knowing that even one person knows my story makes things different. Maybe it’s like the poem says. Maybe this is my way of not going gentle.
I love you. (Ky Markham)”

Ally Condie
“We could have been happy. I know that, and it is perhaps the hardest thing to know.”

Ally Condie
“I think of how perhaps the best way to fly would be with hands full of earth, so you always remember where you came from.”
tags: this

Ally Condie
“Red is the first color of spring. It's the real color of rebirth. Of beginning.”

Ally Condie
“Once you want something, everything changes.”

Ally Condie
“Did the poet know how lucky he was, to have such beautiful words and a place to put them and keep them?”

Ally Condie
“Are you congratulating me on my life, or on my death?”

Ally Condie
“Remembering is part of thinking, but not all of it.”

“I love you."
lightning. Once it has forked, hot-white, from sky to earth, there is no going back.
It's time. I feel it, I know it. My eyes on him, his on me, and both of us breathing, watching, tired of of waiting. Ky close his eyes, but mine are still open. what will it feel like, his lips on mine? Like a secret told, a promise kept? Like that line in the poem-a shower of all my days- silvery rain falling all around me, where the lighting meets the earth?
The whistle blows below us and the moment breaks. We are safe.
For now.”

Ally Condie
“So in the middle of all the noise, I point to the sky. I hope he understands what I mean, because I mean so many things: My heart will always fly his name. I won't go gentle. I'll find a way to soar like the angels in the stories and I will find him. And I know he understands as he looks straight at me, deep into my eyes. His lips move silently, and I know what he says: the words of a poem that only two people in the world know. Tears well up but I blink them away. Because if there is one moment in my life that I want to see clearly, this is it.”

Ally Condie
“No one should die alone.”

Ally Condie
“In the absence of real thunder, he's making his own.”

Ally Condie
“This is the difference between us. I live to sort, he knows how to create.”

Ally Condie
“Water's always moving. It's never the same.”

Ally Condie
“But if you were Matched," I say softly, "What do you think she'd be like?"
"You," he says, almost before I've finished. "You.”

Ally Condie
“Our time together feels like a storm, like a wild wind and rain, like something too big to handle but too powerful to escape.”

Ally Condie
“How can we appreciate anything fully when overwhelmed with too much?”

Ally Condie
“What is it about your voice that
makes me want to hear you speak?”

“my
soul, the mythical part of humans that the angels cared
about.”

Ally Condie
“It was as though I saw for the first time that
life could branch into different paths, take different directions.”

Ally Condie
“They were too much to carry
so I left them behind
for a new life, in a new place
but no one forgot who I was.”

Ally Condie
“It is strange how we hold on to the pieces of the past while we wait for our futures.”

Ally Condie
“I wonder if I will ever have the strength to hold onto something. Or if I will always be someone who destroys.”