Brenda's Reviews > Somewhere to Belong

Somewhere to Belong by Judith McCoy Miller

F 50x66
Jul 04, 10

I couldn't wait to read this book. I live in Amana and I am a direct descendant of the leader Christian Metz who told our group in Germany to come to America and settle in New York first and then finally in Iowa.

I think she she did a great job of telling how it was back in the communal days of Amana. Yes, they were strict but that's just the way it was. Everybody helped each other out.

Just to make clear, we are not Amish as one reviewer might think we still are. Never was and never will be. The names are similar, we came over to America for our religious beliefs and the Amish are very religious but they do not have the modern conveniences like we do. They still use the horse and buggy and simple clothing, we do not.

I hope after reading this people will want to come and visit our seven villages that make up the Amana Colonies and see the history for yourself in the museum, our homes, church and our crafts that we take pride in.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere to Belong.

Deana I have a question. Since the group isn't called Amish, I was wondering if the group does have a name. Thank you for sharing the information!

Brenda You were asking as to whether the Amana people have a name that we go by such as the Amish people do. When the group from Germany came over to America they are referred to as the Inspirationists and our church is the basis of why we settled here because they were told directly by God to come to America. If anything it is the Church of True Inspiration and some people may call each other Amanaites but that's just made up. So in other words, we do not have a name to distinguish who we are but advertising promotions for tourism refers to coming to the historic Amana Colonies.

Deana I appreciate your comments! I didn't even realize until I read your comment that the group or the colonies actually existed. I find it all very interesting! Thank you!

Stacie Are the colonies no longer communal living? I gave heard of Amana but know nothing of the inhabitants.

Brenda We no longer live communally. Amana is a great place to visit and learn of our heritage.