Mallory's Reviews > The Cinderella Complex: Women's Hidden Fear of Independence

The Cinderella Complex by Colette Dowling

Jun 28, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction-feminism

I thought Dowling made some very great points and from my race and class position, I could definitely apply some of these principles to my life. However, the suggestion to middle class women that they should hire housekeepers in order that they would have more time to pursue their own dreams and goals was outright offensive to me. It created this hierarchy that positioned middle class women above poorer women (likely women of color) who would be those housekeepers. The message is that these middle class women should pursue their dreams, but the housekeepers should simply clean the house. Isn't that the very same thinking she attempts to deconstruct in her analysis of husband-wife relationships?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cinderella Complex.

02/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Good point which I didn't notice when I read it.

message 2: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris G I have not read the book yet, but housekeeping is someone's paid "work". I would hope the housekeeper is also pursuing their dreams and goals when not working. As the person (employer) is doing with their spare time.

Carol Waters You equate housekeeper with drudge. I'd imagine that the housekeeper really wanted that paycheck.

I have a friend who lives on a disability check who hires a very wealthy woman to do her housework. That woman in turn hires my friend to do HERS. They swap $50 at the end of the half-day but they get the work done at their house that they would put off if they were home and facing it. Genius.