Kathryn's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Jul 13, 10

bookshelves: book-club, fiction, history, mystery
Read from June 28 to 30, 2010

Summary: Flavia de Luce loves chemistry. She loves it, lives for it really. And this unique talent will help her when she discovers a dead man in her cucumber patch. A miniature sleuth in the making, Flavia, at 11 years old, could rival Sherlock Holmes as she attempts to discover the identity of the dead man and figure out who killed him, and why in her garden.

Review: It was a cute book. The story was cute; Flavia was cute; it was cute. I had a hard time with some of the settings, as I'm not particularly familiar was 1950s British small towns, so the lack of description made it hard for me to visualize, but Flavia was cute and her oodles of personality almost made up for it. If only she were a little bit more innocent and a little bit less vengeful. I dislike it when my heroines, at 15, spend so much time discussing poisoning their enemies....particularly when their enemies are their sisters and not the killer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.