Doris's Reviews > Against Medical Advice

Against Medical Advice by James Patterson

2203514
Jul 11, 10

Read from June 28 to July 02, 2010

Overall, this true life story reinforces what I have seen in Tourette's sufferers, although I feel that the boy in the story suffers not only from his medical issues but from overprotective parenting.

The main problem is that the child is not properly diagnosed, and is given bad medical advice and lack of followup, which can be frustrating.

The true worth of this story is in that it allows those who don't have first hand experience of someone with OCD or Tourettes or one of the other disorders which leads to people, especially children, being ostracized as "weird".

However, I felt this would have been greatly improved if told in a linear timeline, so that we get the problem, the frustration, the hope, the resolution, with all the little sidelines along the way, instead of an obvious memoir told with an "oh yeah I forgot to mention" segue.

The little poems and letters should have been leftg for the end, so we could read or not, with only the critical lines inserted in the story itself. The insertion of the complete piece interrupted the tale, and made it seem like less of the ordeal it probably was.

To me, the most aggravating point is that there is no true feel that there were any good times. Were there? If not, there should have been a line somewhere to that effect "there was no joy or happiness in the household for 13 years" to let us know it was all horror.

Yes, it gave us more information.

No, it was not "one family's story" about a "medical mystery" since the problem was obvious from the beginning. This was a long and painful trip through a medical nightmare, but if it had been written in a more linear fashion, it would have resonated better, and could even perhaps have helped ease the heartache of someone whose family even now deals with these problems.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against Medical Advice.