Laura's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Jun 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010-mt-bookpile, old-reads
Read in June, 2010

I'm really impressed with the intertwining of three mysteries in this latest Gamache mystery. The first is off-stage: who kidnapped Paul Morin, why, and what happened to Gamache and his team, told in flashbacks (on Gamache's part) and in narrative (from Jean-Guy). The second is Gamache's request that Jean-Guy unofficially reopen the case against Olivier (because, as Gabri keeps asking, "why would he have moved the body"?), flashing back to The Brutal Telling. And the third is Gamache helping (again, unofficially) the Quebec City Police as they investigate who killed a Samuel Champlain fanatic in the basement of the Anglo Literature and History Society.

There's more history here than in the previous mysteries, and the one I'd hope she'd answer was not: what is it, exactly, that les Quebecois souvien? I did like the image of that province as being a rowboat society - moving forward while facing back. My knowledge about the Battle on the Plain of Abraham (not a biblical reference, apparently, but the name of the farmer on whose land the battle was fought) and Champlain was increased, which was nice.

Unlike my recent reading of the new Lynley and Jury mysteries, the external characters in this one (mostly, the villagers in Three Pines, but also the members of the Surete) were brought in in thoughtful ways. I didn't sense that the author felt she had to talk about someone unless she felt they were essential to the plot.

ARC provided by publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.