Joanne's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Jun 27, 10

Well, this book was exactly what I needed on an overcast, muggy summer weekend: hilarious and heartbreaking, with infuriating characters who seemed like real people. Emma and Dexter are best friends who can't seem to admit their true feelings for each other. You already know how this is going to end, but what puts this far above other books of its kind is the author's generous spirit and attention to nuances and dialogue and personality quirks. I pretty much loved everybody in this book (except for Tilly; not a spoiler, she just grated on my nerves!)

If you like Nick Hornby, you will like this. It's the same genre: ready-for-the-screenplay romance with male characters you kind of wish you could date and female characters you wish were your best friends. In fact, as soon as I finished the book, I checked imdb and it IS soon to be a movie. Read the book first. It is worth the 400 pages. Reminded me how much fun it is to go into a book with no ulterior motives, not reading it for a class, not planning to teach it, wouldn't even put it in my classroom library, but I loved it, pure and simple.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.