Christina (Reading Extensively)'s Reviews > Sixteen Brides

Jun 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: historical, read2010, romance, inspirational
Read in June, 2010

While the title is Sixteen Brides, the focus of the book is on five women who are each strong in their own way. Caroline is a beautiful war widow whose family disowned her when she married a Yankee, Ruth is a single mother still mourning the death of her beloved husband, Ella struggles with feelings of inferiority after years of marriage to an unfaithful man who told her she was worthless, Sally escaped a bad abusive marriage, and Hettie is running west to escape her problems. More of the book is devoted to Caroline, Ruth, and Ella and at times Hettie and especially Sally appear to be almost secondary characters. However I did feel that I got to know all five of the main women as well as the two main male characters, Matthew and Lucas. Matthew is a widower with a young daughter and he is struggling with how to be a good father to her. He has an estranged relationship with his cousin Lucas and he feels a strong sense of guilt over the death of his wife. Lucas is a charmer who at first seems very untrustworthy but my opinion of him grew throughout the book.

Sixteen Brides features strong female characters, romance, and a positive message. I loved how resourceful and intelligent the characters were in the face of hardship and loss. The romance is sweet and nearly every main character has a love story. The faith is woven through the book but never in a preachy manner. I would suggest this to fans of Lori Copeland and Tracie Peterson.

Readalikes: A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist, The Anonymous Bride by Vickie McDonough, No Place for a Lady by Maggie Brendan, Paper Roses by Amanda Cabot, Cathy Marie Hake's Only in Gooding novels, Tamera Alexander, Lori Copeland

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixteen Brides.