Mike's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Jun 27, 10

bookshelves: humor, kindle-books
Read in June, 2010

I had just finished reading Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict and I wanted something completely different and much lighter. David Sedaris fit the bill. This book was like everything else I've read by him, it was very funny and it was a very quick read. An odd thing happened to me about halfway through the book, however. I realized I had read it a couple of years ago. I don't own it so I must have checked it out from the library but I couldn't believe it took me nearly halfway through to be 100% sure I had previously read it.

Now let me be the first to admit that this may be due entirely to me and my limited attention span. But I think it points out my problem with most of Sedaris' writing. There's no there there. Sure it's funny but there's really nothing profound or important being said. American tourists can be jerks when traveling abroad. Who knew? There are some ignorant yokels down south. Wow. Not exactly a shocker. (I write from South Carolina so I can say that.)

I know it's probably not fair to compare them but I really like Sarah Vowell (a fellow This American Life contributor) much better than Sedaris. She's just as funny but, in my opinion, a lot more interesting and insightful. Of course, I'm a history nerd who loves the Godfather movies (1 and 2 only) so maybe I'm just her perfect audience.

Anyway, the book was funny. If you like his other writing you'll like this also.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.