Kirstie's Reviews > Assassination Vacation

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

Dec 22, 07

Recommended for: people interested in witty political writing and US historical
Read in July, 2006

I loved following Sarah Vowell around the country while she searched for Abraham Lincoln plaques and investigated the life and political career of this famous politician. What I didn't know is that there was such a controversy about Lincoln's death. Of course, everyone knows that it was a famous assassination in a playhouse done by John Wilkes Booth but curiously enough, Booth's visit to one Dr. Mudd to treat his wounds after escaping the scene of the crime had many speculating that he was part of the conspiracy. Dr. Mudd's family still adamantly defend his actions to this day as upholding his oath as a doctor. I became rather fascinated by this historical mystery and Sarah has a way of writing that is incredibly engaging-she somehow wraps in current political and music references all into the text and she makes you feel like you're really taking these trips along with her. Though I can definitely guess that fans of US history would really love this book, I usually don't read political or historical fiction and I found myself enjoying every word of it. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassination Vacation.