Bry's Reviews > Demonglass

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

May 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult, urban-fantasy, series
Read from April 10 to 30, 2011

The first book in the series was awesome. It set up a great world, some fantastic characters, a love interest and a twisted plot. There was emotion, action, intrigue. Then there is the second book in this series. It's what I call a filler novel.

This book spent the first half not answering any of the questions I had from the first book, You would think when that would happen it would be because the action was so intense you didn't have time for info dumps. Sadly that was not the case in this book. There were no info dumps, no action, just stagnation. This whole book actually was this way. By the end of it I wasn't even sure what the main climax of the book was or the point of the novel as a whole. To be honest there should have been about another 50 pages that was the real climax of the novel.

What annoyed me most though was the romance portion of the book. Every YA novel seems to have to have some sort of love triangle to add another level of intensity. Only in this book it merely pissed me off instead. Mainly because the author has been to compelling in making the reader dislike the first love interest and instead like the 2nd interest. Only that rug is completely ripped out from under you. The author is meant to leave clues, bread crumbs for the reader to follow along so that they become more vested in the characters and root for them. Only this time Hawkins lead me as the reader to far in the opposite direction and then expected me to make a quick change back to the original path, but that didn't happen. And now I think I am going to be majorly disappointed.

Still that being said I still like the premise of this series, and the characters. I will read the next book but I might not be so excited and waiting for it to be released.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demonglass.

04/30/2011 page 359
100.0% "Finished. Read 95% of it in a couple hours this evening. Fucking cliff hangers. Review to come."

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH I was curious about this one. I liked Hex Hall, but I think I can wait til the series is out.

message 2: by Bry (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bry AH wrote: "I was curious about this one. I liked Hex Hall, but I think I can wait til the series is out."

Waiting is a good idea. Stupid cliff hanger. Grrrr.