Anne's Reviews > Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors

Ship of Ghosts by James D. Hornfischer

F_50x66
Jun 28, 10

Recommended for: History buffs

One of the survivors discussed in this book was my high school best friend's dad! When we were young, I knew that he was a Japanese POW but I had no idea he actually worked on the REAL " Bridge on the River Kwai." There was a photo of his ship in her parent's bedroom, and I got to peek at it a time or two when nobody was looking. I heard about this book and had to read it. I have read fictional accounts, like King Rat, and seen the Masterpiece Theatre series "A Town Like Alice" and also an early A&E series on Dutch and British women prisoners in Malaysia, but this is the first nonfiction account I have read. Knowing someone who told their stories in this book made it a very emotional experience for me. I have since heard even more of his survival stories from my friend, and they are amazing. This book will stay with you a long time if you take the time to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship of Ghosts.