Justyn Rampa's Reviews > Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman by Jeph Loeb

Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: batman, graphic-novels, top-ten-batman
Read from July 13 to 23, 2010

The only reason this is not getting five stars is because of the artwork. I know that Jeph Loeb(writer) and Tim Sale(artist) are seen as some kind of dream team, but I am not impressed by Tim. There were some panels that were exquisite in concept but executed in such a rudimentary fashion that I was momentarily taken out of the story. Enough about artwork, let's talk about that story.

Initially, I was hesitant to embrace "The Long Halloween" because it lacked the larger than life villains that I love so well! However, I realize now that the first several issues were set-up to establish the world in which "The Long Halloween" takes place. It is important to understand the crime families that are holding Gotham City in their grip, and the unwavering passion of District Attorney Harvey Dent to bring them down because then "Holiday" starts killing and doesn't stop.

This is essentially a story about a serial killer that asks the reader to decide the difference between right and wrong. I don't really want to give too much away because the journey of the story is wonderfully engaging. I thought I knew what was going on only to discover that I didn't quite understand it as well as I thought.

Jeph Loeb also wrote "Batman: Hush" which at times seemed very similar to "Batman: The Long Halloween". Though they may share the same outline, the stories are vastly different. Also, I now believe that Jeph Loeb knows exactly what a Batman fan like me wants in a comic because he's given it to me twice now. A talented writer to be sure who truly understands the world of Batman.

Incredibly well done!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

07/13/2010 page 42
11.0% "The artwork is gross. However, the narrative is surprisingly reminiscent of Dick Tracy comics. I believe Long Halloween will largely concern itself with Harvey Dent before he becomes Two-Face. Also, it works off of some characters introduced in Batman Year One. I am reading it because I was impressed with Jeph Loeb after reading "Batman: Hush". So far, so good."
07/21/2010 page 83
22.0% "It's taking me a little longer to get through this than I anticipated. The writing is still interesting enough but the artwork...well, I could draw something comparable, which is not what I want out of my comics. Speaking of, I have also decided to catch up on 9 of the 10 most important comics of the past decade as well as catching up on milestone Batman comics that I've been wanting to read. That should be fun:-)"
07/21/2010 page 130
35.0% "I am definitely starting to get into this. The overall theme of the series is starting to emerge, the artwork has gotten a bit better, and we are introducing more colorful villains which is the reason I love Batman so. I have a guess at the identity of Holiday but it seems so obvious that I may be wrong."

bookme4life Sounds like impressive writing!

"...that asks the reader to decide the difference between right and wrong."

The shadings of what constitutes right and wrong were certainly integral to Batman's choices in TDK. Is this the big thematic connection to the movie? Or are there other things as well?