Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > Taken by Midnight

Taken by Midnight by Lara Adrian

** spoiler alert ** What a lovely, and at times, sad story. It is happily ever after, as expected from this series, but there were so many different things that happened as well.

This is Brock and Jenna's story, the dark and mysterious vampire warrior with the power to absurb humans' pain, and the ex-cop with a tragic past that cost her her family who's now facing the unknown future.

We already met Jenna from the previous book, she was Alex's -Kade's girl- best friend. We know she has a tragic past, one where she lost her husband and daughter to a car accident of which she was the sole survivor. She had a lot to deal with, I gotta say. Having been living with the memory of her family for four years, then facing a monster which she could've only imagined to exist in horror novels and now the extreme changes that are happening to her that are unknown even to the members of The Order.

So yeah, thankfully she's a fighter. I felt really bad for Jenna, and even when she was reluctant to admit her feelings towards Brock all because she wasn't able to make peace with her past, I could understand and sympathize with her. I can't even imagine trying to get over a past like that and finding the courage to move on and be happy again. I admired her for her efforts. And I admired the way she tried to help the women of the Order about their pursuit for the kidnapped Breedmates.

Brock was a newer addition to the warriors, like Kade, we didn't know much about him until his own book but I have to say I loved him. He was such a tender soul, sure he was a warrior and strong and alpha as hell, but also there was something gentle in him that smoothed the rough edges of Jenna's existence. And I liked the way he loved and cared for her.

I admit, I did expect the changes in Jenna to be revealed and understood completely in this book and was surprised to see that story's still not ended. I half expected Jenna to become a Breedmate after her time with the Ancient, after all when these guys first landed on earth surely this was the kind of trick they did and how Breedmates came to exist. So when Jenna's skin had markings on them I expected it to be a tear drop and crescent moon symbol that is unique to all Breedmates. But I guess that would've been too easy, I can't wait for how Jenna's situation will be resolved.

I was so glad to see the women in action. I know they're always said to be a part of all the operations and they've all been helpful in their own ways so far but it was great to see them operate on their own, fighting off Minions, saving the kidnapped Breedmates. There was a lot of respect for the women in this book.

Glad to see a tiny bit more insight into Hunter's character, even though we know almost nothing about him, he's one of the two guys that intrigued me ever since they appeared. Him and Sterling Chase. I can't help but go for the tortured guys, stone-cold detached assassin/warriors. Can't help it!

I absolutely loved this book and now I don't know how time will pass until Hunter's.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taken by Midnight.

10/10/2010 page 126
32.0% "I can't believe I got this!! In your face amazon! -though I still love you, you know that right? ;)"
10/11/2010 page 261
65.0% "Hunter, my poor poor Gen One assassin, let Gokce help you with your secret ;)"

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review! I'm going to start Midnight Awakening soon so hopefully, I'll breeze through this series and finally get to read this one!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thanks Annie!
Oh yes, do read, the books get so much better with each and I loved Midnight Awakening. Once you get sucked in, it's hard to stop! :)