MissSusie's Reviews > The Quickening

The Quickening by Michelle Hoover

Jul 02, 10

bookshelves: reviewed, lter
Read from June 27 to July 02, 2010

This not a happy book it is dark and thought provoking. It is beautifully written and almost has a gothic feel to it. It is set somewhere in the Midwest (I am from North Dakota so in my mind that is where this took place) and spans from 1913-1950 and tells the story of Enidina & Mary neighbors on the plains yet different in every way. I don’t think these women were ever friends. Enidina is a hardworking farmer‘s wife who grew up with brothers on her family farm so is no stranger to hard work. Mary is a soft woman who really does not know who she is and I didn’t like her very much. I liked Enidina she had a good character and she was a good person. The story goes through their lives from children, to the great depression to all the major things that happen in the span of a life.
I liked this book, though it is a dark study into the human character. There were times when it had the same feel as The Reliable Wife which is a book that really stays with you after you’re done and this book is definitely one of those books. I liked the two different viewpoints because it really showed you how different these women are, which I don’t think it would have been as good with only one persons point of view.
Highly Recommend!
4 Stars
Full Disclosure I recieved this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quickening.