Barbara VA's Reviews > Strawberry Sunday

Strawberry Sunday by Stephen Greenleaf

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: mystery, series-jm-tanner, 2011-read
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

2011 So, after reading this I had to start at the beginning of the series. Finally got tho book 13 and I was going to skip it but decided to reread and get a new take on the angst that Marsh went through. I am glad that I did, the "back story" is just what makes his books so readable. These are real people, with a history that you care about. I am sorry that there is only one to go!

2010 While this is the 13th in the John Marshall Tanner series, this is my first and I must say it was a great crime novel. I chose it for the title (I needed to read a book with the word strawberry) but it was a happy accident in my browsing!

I will not write of spoilers but i will focus on the why of the investigation A young woman has been murdered that was a friend of Tanner's and he wants to find out who and why. He travels to the Salinas Valley of California and into the world of strawberry farming. It's a BIG business! He paint all the various types in the town and know something that they are fearful to discuss - the sheriff, the nurse in the hospital, the dispatcher, a bank clerk, the priest, the mother of the slain girl, her fiance, a teacher and the land owner. Tanner has a tough job on his hands.

When I was much younger, I lived thru the era of Cesar Chavez and his reforms for the farm workers and remember all the controversies well. Many of those changes are now gone and harder times exist. It is shocking. This is a great mystery but also a great social commentary. I will never look at a box of strawberries the same way again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strawberry Sunday.