Alice Lee's Reviews > Horns

Horns by Joe Hill

Aug 02, 10

bookshelves: horror
Read in August, 2010

To be fair, Joe Hill is a pretty good writer, and he manages to turn a cliche plot (zomg I got turned into the devil!) into something revealing and kind of refreshing. You can tell it's an irreverent piece also designed to be dark and profound, with abundant pop culture (mostly musical) references splashed about. The problem is, it didn't quite hit a home run on any of the three. It's a story about love but didn't give readers a chance to experience that; consequently, I as the reader didn't feel any investment behind the climatic act of revenge. Maybe Hill didn't intend that to be the point, maybe I'm simply trying to grasp why it is that in the end I found this book lacking.

I also wished Hill delved deeper into Lee's story, as he was undoubtedly the most interesting character. Tell me more about how he was like as a child, tell me more about his motivations, his growth and maturation process. But in the end it seems Hill didn't intend this piece of work to be anything you think about in depth.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horns.