NocturnalRavings(Jodie)'s Reviews > Kiss of Death

Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: favorites, i-own, autographed, beastiary
Read from March 10 to 12, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Death.

Quotes NocturnalRavings(Jodie) Liked

Rachel Caine
“I knew we’d wear them down,' Eve said. 'After all, we really are amazingly cool.' And now it was Eve’s turn for the high five with Shane. 'For a bunch of misfit geeks, slackers, and losers.'

'Which one are you?' Shane asked. She flipped him off. 'Oh, right. Loser. Thanks for reminding me.”

Rachel Caine
“You can’t be serious,” Eve said. “Guys. People get eaten in places like this. At the very least, we get locked in a room and terrible, evil things get done to us and put on the Internet. I’ve seen the movies.”

"Eve,” Michael said. “Horror movies are not documentaries.”

Rachel Caine
“Don’t,” Michael said. It was soft, and it was a warning, through and through. “You try to hurt her again and I’ll pull your arm off.”

Rachel Caine
“Hey,” Shane said from the other side of the bars. “Trade you cigarettes for a chocolate bar.”

Funny,” Eve said. She was almost back to her old unGothed self again, though there were still red splotches on her cheeks and around her eyes. “How come you’re always behind bars, troublemaker?”

Look who’s talking. I didn’t try to outrun the cops in a hearse.”

That hearse had horsepower.” Eve got that moony look in her eyes again. “I love that hearse.”

Rachel Caine
“Shane was silent a moment, then let out a long breath. "I bet I could convince you if I could get through these bars. . . ."

"You'd get arrested all over again."

"Well, you're just that tempting. Jailbait." He kissed her fingers, which made her shiver all over; his lips lingered warm on her skin, reminding her of what it felt like to be alone with him, in that timeless...”

Rachel Caine
“Another thing I don't want on my tombstone," Shane said.

You have others?" Claire asked.

He held up one finger. "I thought it wasn't loaded," Shane said. Second finger. "Hand me a match so I can check the gas tank." Third finger. "Killed over ice cream. Basically, any death that requires me to be stupid first.”

Rachel Caine
“Expecting anybody else?' Shane asked Eve. 'Your distant cousin Jack the Ripper dropping by too?'

'Screw you, Collins.”

Rachel Caine
“Shane dragged Eve's suitcase into the room and dumped it on the floor beside her bed. “Hey, Dark Princess? Here’s your crap. Also, bite me.”

Rachel Caine
“Shane looked down at the staked vamp at his feet. 'Claire?'
'Yes?'
'You staked a vampire with a number two pencil.'
'I didn’t actually check the number.'
'Have I told you lately how freaking awesome you are?'
She tried to smile, but her heart was fluttering in her chest now, and not in a good way. 'Compliments later. We really need to get out of here and get to the car. Any ideas?'
'Find another pencil and I’ll pin this one down, too,' Michael said.
'You know how weird that sounds, right?' Shane said. 'Right, never mind. Number two pencil, coming up. Why do I feel like we’re taking a test?”

Rachel Caine
“I am never taking a trip with either of you ever again.' Eve said. 'Ever.'
Excellent' Shane said. 'Then next trip, we hit the strip bar.'
I have a gun, Shane,' Eve sighed.
What, you think i actually loaded yours?'
Eve flipped him off, and Claire laughed.”

Rachel Caine
“Morley joined them, and after a long, uncomfortable moment, Mrs. Grant decided to ignore his presence. The
guards didn’t. Their knuckles were white on their weapons.
May I assist?” he asked, and put his hands behind his back. “I promise not to eat anyone.”
Very funny,” Mrs. Grant said. Morley gave her a grave look.
I wasn’t joking, dear lady,” he said. “I do promise. And I never make a promise I don’t intend to keep. You
should feel quite secure.”
Well, I’m sorry, I don’t,” she said. “You’re just—”
Too overwhelmingly dashing and attractive?” Morley grinned. “A common problem women face with me.
It’ll pass. You seem like the no-nonsense sort. I like that.”
Claire smiled at the look on Mrs. Grant’s face, reflected in the white LED light of the lantern she was holding.
You are really—odd,” the older woman said, as if she couldn’t quite believe she was even having the
conversation.”

Rachel Caine
“And that, Claire thought, was why Morley had been right about this, even if he was a complete vampire about
it.
You had to save what you could.
Amelie had understood that all along, Claire realized. That was why Morganville existed. Because you had to
try.”

Rachel Caine
“The universe explodes, hell freezes, and Shane does something resonable.”

Rachel Caine
“I am not getting you a brain, because I am not that kind of assistant, Dr. Frankenstein.”

Rachel Caine
“I'm a vampire, idiot. I don't have x-ray vision." "Some supernatural monster you are, remind me to trade you in for a werewolf, bro. Probably be more useful right now.”

Rachel Caine
“My dad used to say that life's a journey, but somebody screwed up and lost the map.”

Rachel Caine
“Unfortunately, my army consists of one unreliable criminal, one girl with a
disability, and one incredibly foolish young vampire with a tanning issue. I am not confident.”

Rachel Caine
“Seriously,” Shane said, “this kind of is the worst situation we’ve ever been in, right?”
“Speak for yourself,” Michael said. “I got myself killed last year. Twice.”
“Oh yeah. You’re right—last year really sucked for you.”

“Morely: You're trying to make me [i]Amelie[/i]
Oliver: Goodness, no. You'd look terrible in a skirt”