Deborah Biancotti's Reviews > Air

Air by Geoff Ryman

Dec 31, 13

Read from November 02 to December 14, 2013

I'm really impressed with how Ryman can push a premise to its logical conclusion. This is really what science fiction is meant to do; THIS is the literature of ideas!

And this is also the literature that proves you can write an interesting book about an unlikeable character. Chang Wei is superior & vain, & despite that I kept reading. I kept reading largely because the technology was so weird, & the abuse--really, the abuse--of it by frankly everyone with access to it (yes, including Chang Wei) seemed so very human.

But I admit I slowed at exactly the half-way mark of the novel (at about the time of the magical pregnancy & the cruelty towards the talking dog) & never really resumed my pace. That's mainly a problem with me & not the book: it's getting harder & harder to convince me to read a book all the way through to the end, & it seems to come down to a very shallow reason. It's all about whether or not I connect with the character. And as complicated, passionate, adaptive and interesting as Chang Wei undoubtedly was, alas, I also found her company quite exhausting!

But this book will stay with me. Fascinating.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Air.

11/01/2013 marked as: currently-reading