Libby Ames's Reviews > The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

May 24, 11

bookshelves: audio-book, children-s-fiction, girl-power, historical-fiction
Read in June, 2010

I chose this book when I was desperate for an audio book on a long run. My interest wasn't high, but I was soon truly hooked. Miss Calpernia Virgina Tate (also known as Callie Vee) is a marvelous character on the eve of becoming a young woman. Her inquisitive mind leads her to ask a question of her forboding Grandaddy. The relationship that develops between the two is both heart warming and motivational.

Callie is an interesting character to capture the attention of all ages of girls, but the depth of her struggles in 1899 Texas might be lost on younger girls. Also, the author's clever use of quotes from Darwin's Origin of Species to open each chapter might also be lost on younger readers. I loved it. My only disappointment was the ending felt a little unresolved. Not in the 'I'm making room for a sequel' way--more a 'I don't know exactly how to resolve this' way. In spite of that, it was a clever and uplifting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.

Barbara I didn't realize that the quotes at the beginning of each chapter were from Darwin's Origin of Species - no wonder I had to read them over several times to get them! Where and how did i miss this point? Thanks Libby.