Molly Westerman's Reviews > The English Patient

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Jul 17, 10

bookshelves: favorite-fiction, fiction
Recommended for: people who hated (or loved) the film version; lovers of beautiful language
Read from June 29 to July 01, 2010

The English Patient is a sort of postmodernist ensemble character study, working through the traumatic memories of a nurse, a thief, a combat engineer, and a mysterious burned man who may or may not remember his own name. That sounds really abstract and difficult and boring, but it's actually a beautiful and gripping novel, and one that my undergraduate students always love. It's a book about identity (and its trickiness), all sorts of love, sex, war, trauma, storytelling, reading, nations, imperialism, and what 'home' means. It's also a book about these four very real-feeling characters in a moment of quiet after the violence of World War II. And, I think, it's a book about its own lyrical sentences. Every time I come back to it, I'm surprised to remember how good it is.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English Patient.

Jeff Scott My favorite is the Sapper. When he rides off in anger over the a bomb and slides off the bridge I felt like all hope in the world slid with him.