Crystal's Reviews > The Sight

The Sight by David Clement-Davies

Jun 26, 10

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy
read count: 2

David Clement-Davies creates a unique culture and belief system for his characters by blending religious paradigms from various religions. Using this, he creates the basis for a world in which rich, engaging characters come to life from the pages. Although the plot is not necessarily as inventive as this environment he has created, it is a wonderful tale about fate & destiny, friendship, family, and growing into one's self against all odds.

From the moment you meet the pack, the reader feels a unique bond to each wolf. They all have their own strengths and shortcomings with personalities that stand out. Their beliefs and culture, as mentioned earlier, are based on many paradigms that exist in our real world blended together flawlessly. In many books, whenever tales are told about heroes or deities, it can get a bit daunting and trying because it's often so irrelevant. But David Clement-Davies manages to avoid that and instead gives the reader greater insight with relevant tales. What is also perhaps the most surprising is that the antagonist is not entirely deplorable. She is written in a way that it's hard not to feel some sympathy for her alongside the contempt.

And although the plot is generally depressing, there is a lot of loss and heartache throughout, in the end it is an uplifting story. For the characters to persevere through what they had, it takes a great deal of strength, courage, and strong ties to one another. And at its core, although the book avoided being didactic, I think that was part of the intended takeaway message from the book: to rely not just on your own strength but the support and strength of those who love you to carry you through the storms.

I think perhaps the only pitfall of this book is somewhat in the writing style. It's not necessarily the best style I've ever read nor is it by any stretch of the imagination perfect, but it did grate on the nerves a little as the other abused the same words over and over again for when the animals spoke amongst one another. On the other hand, however, I can say it's certainly better than the alternative where author's try to avoid using the word "said" by using every and any other word to describe verbal communication.

Overall, this book is an excellent coming of age story in a fantasy setting. It's technically a young adult book, but I believe that people of all ages can enjoy the story as it unfolds as well as appreciate and enjoy the characters with their relationships to one another.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah Jayne Hi Crystal, My name is Sierra Jane and I am also a huge fan of The Sight. David is in the process of launching his new book, Dragon In the Post and needs help with pledges. Here is the link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/... Have a look and think about pledging, I have and wanted to send this message through as an amazing author needs our support! Thanks for your time, have a great day. Sierra Jane