Snotchocheez's Reviews > A Spot of Bother

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon

Jul 05, 10

it was ok
Read from June 26 to July 05, 2010

Mark Haddon really won me over with "The Curious Incident..." despite gimmick-y narration; "A Spot of Bother", sans gimmicks...well, to sum it up, it's not much more than British Farce with little substance to make it a compelling read. Occasionally amusing banter amongst the protagonists kept me plowing through to the end, but it was a really tough (read: boring) novel to get through. It didn't help that the core storyline was quite similar to my second favorite book of all time (Jonathan Frantzen's "The Corrections") although it just couldn't hold a dim candle to it. Not one of the four protagonists/family members (a father going insane from imagining himself having cancer, his wife who is cheating on him, their son (a gay man) grappling with love issues, and their daughter who is marrying a man of questionable character) have any redeeming qualities worth reading about and are certainly not funny enough to frame in a comedic context. My biggest quibble with Haddon's style (at least with this book) is his rather annoying habit of barely introducing characters close to the protagonists that really don't lend anything to the story, or assist in fleshing out the protagonists, and only serve to muddle the narrative flow. While this was, for me, a very disappointing effort, I haven't completely given up on Mr. Haddon...I do still look forward to seeing if he can recapture the magic of his first novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spot of Bother.